Women are angels... and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick, if need be. We are flexible like that!


Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daly Days July 23rd

Dave and I went to Daly Days on Saturday.  Daly Days were in Hamilton July 22, 23.
I have wanted to see the Daly Mansion since I drove past last summer. 
Marcus Daly was one of the richest men in Montana.  He made most of his money on copper in Anaconda.
He also had houses in Butte and NY.
 This was the biggest wood stove that Dave and I had ever seen.  The kitchen in this house was several rooms.  There was a butler's pantry, the main kitchen and then there was a vegetable room where the veggies were cleaned and prepared.  They were giving tastes ot homemade ice cream.  Yum!
 There are volunteers that dress in period clothing and play the part of Daly family members or house staff.  The mansion has 3 stories.  With the guest and servant rooms on the 3rd floor.
The portrait above the fireplace in the entry is of Marcus Daly.  The fireplace was made of marble and yellow onyx.  Most of the wallpaper and carpets are original.
 One of the most interesting things about the house were all the bathrooms.  Many of the bedrooms had their own bathroom or shared a bathroom.  I think I lost count of all the bathrooms after 8.
The lamp in the dinning room was a lamp that supposedly came from the Wilma theatre in Missoula.
 



 
This is a play house that was built in 3/4 scale.  It is located southwest of the main house.  It originally included a wood stove, bathroom and kitchen including a pantry.

 The grounds had trees which Marcus Daly brought from different parts of the world.  Some did not survive the climate.  Lindon trees must have been a favorite as there were quite a few along with Maple trees.  I think I will have to pay attention to the trees in the fall to see the colors.



No comments:

Post a Comment