Women are angels... and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick, if need be. We are flexible like that!


Monday, October 25, 2010

Update on the Color #3

The Color is Here! The Color is Here!

Sept 12, 2010

Oct. 11, 2010
 Oct. 25, 2010
I thought I better get a picture this morning before all the leaves fell off.  They turned color in a very short time.
We also got a dusting of snow on the mountain overnight. 
On the picture below, you can see the Western Larch (Larix occidentalis) trees that have turned yellow mixed in with the Ponderosa Pine on the mountains in the back.  At first I thought it was aspen, but after thinking about it, the mountain didn't have green aspen clumps during the summer-- it was all dark green trees.  I thought they were all Ponderosa Pine, but apparently not.

The interesting thing about the Larch, is that they will eventually loose their needles and look like dead trees during the winter.  Deciduous Conifers.  If you didn't know that they were supposed to turn yellow in the fall, you would think they were a sickly tree.  The first time I saw the Larch in their fall color was traveling between LaGrande,Or and Pendelton, Or.  There are quite a few Larch in that forested area.  They are very striking among the dark conifers.
Below is a map of the Native Range of the Western Larch
Washington, Oregon, Northern Idaho and Northwest Montana in the US
{The native range of Larix occidentalis}












            The Larch in it's full fall color.

No comments:

Post a Comment