Today Dave and I went for a road trip to see some of the local sites.
We went to the Big Hole Battlefield National Historic Site.
I was a little dissappointed because when we got there we found out the visitors center was closed because of re-roofing. They had a semi visitors center set up in one of the houses located in the employee housing area.
Dave and I went on the Battlefield trail hike. We took the spur trail to the Howitzer site. Apparently 5 soldiers with 6 mules took the Howitzer up to a site above the battle area. The Indians saw them and sent 30 to go get the Howitzer. They over took the 5 soldiers and dimanteled the Howitzer and burried the cannon part so that it could not be used.
The poles below represent Tee Pee poles to mark the area where the Nez Perce camped.
There is another trail that takes you to that area.
After we left the Big Hole Valley I had Dave stop so that I could take this picture. We were north of Wisdom and South of the Anaconda turn off for hwy. 569.
Anaconda's black tailings pile and smoke stack
It reminds me of Kennecott near SLC.
No comments:
Post a Comment