This month I took my first driving trip to Missoula. Eight hours one way!
When you take a long trip the first time, you have to figure out logistically where you need to gas up and take breaks. Well, since this was my first time I wasn't sure where these stops would take place. I was thinking that Idaho Falls would be about where I would need to gas up (aprox. 1/2 way). When I got to Idaho Falls, I still had more than 1/3 tank and figured I had another 100+ miles I could travel (no need to fill up yet) besides Idaho Falls doesn't seem to be a convenient place to get off. Keep on driving!
I have a co-worker who was raised in Dubois, ID so when I came up to that exit (30-40 miles past Idaho Falls), I thought it would be a good time to take a break. Didn't really want to fill up yet because there is only one gas station in Dubois (besides, 70+ miles left in the ole tank, why bother) . So I took a few pics of the place (seemed like it was quite the little town in it's day)
Main Street Dubois
One of the only stores/shops still in business.
Ok, it says Dubois city hall, but you're not fooling me...
I know this used to be the Forest Service Office.
On the East side of town there are the train tracks.
This old building was located west of the train tracks.
Nice little break, back on the road.
After Dubois, I noticed that things were getting pretty remote. Time to look at the atlas, Yup not much ahead until I get to Montana. More specifically, Dillon, MT.
Hmm, gas tank "low fuel" light is on now, that means I have about 50 mile, maybe 60 before I am out of gas.
Ok, I'm startin to stress, I'm not seeing anywhere to gas up. I am hoping that I can make it to Dillon. All my calculations... I should.
Coming to Spencer, ID " Opal Capital of America" population "38". Don't see a gas station there.
Next exit is Lima, Mt.... hmmm I hope Dillon is here soon.
Clark Canyon reservoir, nothing there.
15 miles to Dillon, I'm still good, I can make it!
What's this? A single gas station exit. I decide that I better fill up even though Dillon is 8 miles ahead.
Note to self...gas up when you originally plan (Idaho Falls).





No comments:
Post a Comment