So this evening Dave decided to check the bees and see how they were doing.
He wanted to make sure they hadn't filled up the hive and ran out of room.
If they run out of room they will swarm and leave the hive for another location.
It was still warm this evening and a lot of them were on the front porch of the hive cooling themselves.
All those little bodies create a lot of heat in the hive and they try to keep cool.
Dave pryed a rack out to look at it.
They have been busy since the last time we checked it.
Dave will need to add another level soon.
Dave estimates that there have been about 2 hatchings of bees in the hive.
These new bees are not as docile as the pretty yellow ones.
A couple came after me and I don't have a bee suit. But I didn't get stung.
Dave did. He was in the suit too. I didn't know they could sting thru the suit. Hmmm
Dave's first bee sting.
Dave is pretty good about keeping calm around the bees. He doesn't make any sudden jerks and stays pretty melow. Not me, I had a couple come after me and I am trying to wack them away and running toward the sprinklers. Probably not the best....
But I didn't get stung -- this time.
I can't remember the last time I got stung by a bee. I think I was about 8.
Update: Dave put 2 new boxes on the hive July 18. I didn't take pics because it was so late in the evening and too dark. Also, it was quite hot and after the last time I didn't want to get that close to them because they get more irritated when it is hot.
I will add a pic of the hive with the new levels soon.
While I was taking a pic of the bee hive, I took this pic of the dragon flies that love the little tree near the hive. At times there are 6-10 of them flying around. They are all this pretty blue color.






No comments:
Post a Comment